Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Cooking with Claire

For the past couple weeks, I devoted my Friday afternoons and evenings to a cooking class.  It was taught by Claire, the owner of a vegetarian cafe that makes the most famous cakes in New Haven.  She is the nicest, most patient teacher, even when, for example, someone left the sugar out of the cookies.  Each Friday, Claire prepared a list of dishes for us to prepare and the groceries magically appeared in the kitchen.  We would each take a dish and start cooking, and Claire would run around trying to teach us how to chop garlic, or bloom rice.  I had an amazing time, and tried a lot of new foods.  I feel a little more prepared for real life now.






I was in charge of a pasta with mushroom sauce, called Farfalle Fungi.  The stars really aligned for this one.  I am obsessed with mushrooms.



Turns out I like asparagus.  This dish is made by boiling the asparagus in the frying pan, then cracking two eggs over the top and waiting for them to fry.  Yum.


I made a fresh tomato sauce that was pretty darn good.  This went in the eggplant-parmesan. 


Claire's Cake! It really is famous around here.


My ahhhhhh-mazing mushroom broth.


No comments:

Post a Comment