Tuesday, February 8, 2011

News

Today I was reading the New York Times in class instead of paying attention, and I started reading this story about a safe drug injection site for users in Vancouver.  This program hands out clean needles to cut down on the spread of HIV and has nurses on site keep people from dying of a drug overdose.  The nurses also offer other medical services like gynecological exams, wound dressing, and STD testing.  In return for coming to the center and using new needles, the users are protected from Canadian narcotics laws.



This lady is shooting drugs into her jugular. 
via here

This article blew my mind.  My first thought was- what a weird, creepy, novel and clever idea.  It's like a really intriguing spin on the whole 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em' mantra.  No one will ever be able be able to eradicate drug use without dealing with underlying societal crap, so in the meantime, why not make people safer?  My second thought was- how in the world do those nurses work there?  I hope with my whole heart that this is a weekly, if not monthly, commitment for them.  To see this day in and day out would have to be an emotional health hazard.

No comments:

Post a Comment